Is oral Lamisil (terbinafine) worth taking despite the possible side effects? What's the worst that could happen if I don't treat my toenail fungus?

Dr. Frank Pinto
Dermatology

In brief: Maybe

Lamisil (terbinafine) is actually a much safer drug than people think.
The risk of liver problems is really quite small. I do, however, recommend a baseline blood test (liver profile and complete blood count) prior to starting with a repeat test about 6 weeks into the therapy. Normal course of treatment for toenails is 3 months.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Frank Pinto
Dr. Frank Pinto
Dr. Kenneth Cheng

In brief: Depends

Untreated toenail fungus often leads to thickened, disfigured and discolored toenails.
Occasionally, toenail fungus can also lead to pain. Whether or not one takes the oral Lamisil (terbinafine) depends on one's acceptance to risk of possible liver damage. One's doctor should be monitoring the liver function closely through blood tests. Have this frank discussion with your physician.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: You basically

Decide based on the risk/reward ratio.
Lamisil (terbinafine) gets a bad RAP as being a dangerous drug. It is quite safe. Get baseline liver enzymes to make sure your a candidate. Hob bad does the fungus look? It can continue to get thick this can cause toenail pain or infections. I would vote to treat.

In brief: You basically

Decide based on the risk/reward ratio.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass