My father died had of a heart attack, and i believe my great grandpa did too on my moms side. What are the best ways to avoid heart failure for myself?

Dr. Robert Binford
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Control risk factors

Heart attack and heart failure are different.
Ha can lead to hf. As you realize your risks are higher. Knowing the potential problem is the first step. Exercise (resistance and cardio), weight control, and no smoking are important. The proper diet is important. Cut out sugar and eat a balanced diet in protein complex carbs and health fats. Find a good doctor you can trust and work w/them.

In brief: Control risk factors

Dr. Robert Binford
Dr. Robert Binford
Dr. Asaf Presente
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: General health

General healthy lifestyle including well-rounded diet, lots of exercise (doesn't matter what kind) and no drugs/smoking, only moderate alcohol are helpful for heart health.
With a strong family history even a very young person, ie. 20 should get their cholesterol checked at least once.

In brief: General health

Dr. Asaf Presente
Dr. Asaf Presente
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology