What could cause a sudden onset of pain / weakness in my neck, shoulders, forearms, hands & hips? 

Dr. David Sherer
Anesthesiology

In brief: Variable

Could be an autoimmune sydrome, neurologic problem or problem related to your glandular system. I would advise seeing an internist or neurologist.
Drdavidsherer.Com.

In brief: Variable

Drdavidsherer.Com.
Dr. David Sherer
Dr. David Sherer

In brief: Dr or E.R. can check

Sudden onset of pain and weakness in the neck, shoulders, forearms, and hands can be due to a problem in the spine, among other things.
Damage to one's spinal cord must be avoided, so a trip to the doctor or to an emergency room is needed to see if the symptoms are from spinal cord or nerve compression. If not related to the spinal cord or nerves, the symptoms can be taken care of less urgently.

In brief: Dr or E.R. can check