Could you tell me if plain oral X-ray is sufficient to detect if the upper palate has cracked during the wisdom tooth extraction? If not, which test?

Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: A palatial x-ray

Also called an occlusal x-ray may be used.
Typically oral surgeons have these films since they are used for trauma. A better choice is a 3-d digital x-ray called a cbct. Many oral surgeons and some general dentists like me have this technology.

In brief: A palatial x-ray

Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: A little

If an upper wisdom tooth in being removed caused damage, it is unlikely to be the palate.
The palate is soft tissue at that area, and the tooth is commonly displaced toward the cheek in any case. So, if bony damage is done, it likely the tuberosity of the maxilla and and an x-ray may help, but palpation or moving the area with fingers will be the ultimate sign.

In brief: A little

Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. Dinh Bui
Dentistry

In brief: NO

Clinical exam and ct scan are the two best way to exam crack of the upper palate.

In brief: NO

Dr. Dinh Bui
Dr. Dinh Bui
Dr. Marsha Davis