I get persistent cysts on my left ovary. Birth control pills give me migraines & i'm concerned about depo.Can they just remove that ovary?

Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Gynecology

In brief: Ovarian cysts

The ovary will create a cyst every month during ovulation in women of reproductive age.
This is a normal function of the ovary. If this cyst is large( greater than6 cm)it may cause pain. If the cyst on ultrasound looks simple(no particles in it just fluid) we can observe and usually resolve spontaneously. Studies have looked at pill vs no pill for dissolving the cyst and there is no difference.

In brief: Ovarian cysts

Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Dr. Patrick Weix
Sometimes for persistent or painful cysts, surgery can be done to remove the cyst wall. Usually this is reserved for things that are not simple cyst; things such as endometriomas or dermoid cysts.
Dr. Albert Pizzo

In brief: Ovarian Cysts

Treatment depends on the type of cysts one has.
For example women may have a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome which causes many cysts in the ovaries and other complications. The treatment of this would be different from other types of cysts. It is necessary to have a complete physical and evaluation to determine the cause of the cysts and then treatment can follow.

In brief: Ovarian Cysts

Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Cindy Juster