What are your opinions on the use of metformin for weight loss purposes in people who take atypical antipsychotics?

Dr. Muhammad Munir

In brief: Metformin weightloss

Metformin is prescribed for various purposes and the dose varies depending on the need.
It's been added to the treatment to address weight issues 2ndry to antipsychotic use diet changes and excercise is still important but discuss with your doctor to see what will be best combination.

In brief: Metformin weightloss

Dr. Muhammad Munir
Dr. Muhammad Munir
Dr. Alan Cohen

In brief: Metformin

Metformin may help some, be aware that it can cause vitamin B12 deficiency with neurological sequelae like peripheral neuropathy- numbness in feet and hands.
Many have trouble with GI irritation, pain or abdominal cramps. I have had a few pts benefit from it for this problem but it's an off label use. Others have used topomax with success.

In brief: Metformin

Dr. Alan Cohen
Dr. Alan Cohen