2 doctors weighed in:

My son swallowed a penny, can there be any long time effects of that?

2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jeremy Adler
Pediatrics - Gastroenterology

In brief: Usually not

If a coin gets stuck in the esophagus that can be dangerous.
If he has drooling, difficulty swallowing, or throat pain, he needs to be seen in the emergency department and have an x-ray to make sure it's not in the esophagus. Otherwise he should be followed by your doctor with an x-ray to determine the location of the coin, and make sure it passes. Most coins pass in the stool uneventfully.

In brief: Usually not

If a coin gets stuck in the esophagus that can be dangerous.
If he has drooling, difficulty swallowing, or throat pain, he needs to be seen in the emergency department and have an x-ray to make sure it's not in the esophagus. Otherwise he should be followed by your doctor with an x-ray to determine the location of the coin, and make sure it passes. Most coins pass in the stool uneventfully.
Dr. Jeremy Adler
Dr. Jeremy Adler
Thank
Dr. Alan Levine
Pediatrics

In brief: No

As we say, it will pass in the end..........

In brief: No

As we say, it will pass in the end..........
Dr. Alan Levine
Dr. Alan Levine
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Shontae Buffington
Board Certified, Pediatrics
13 years in practice
845K people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors