Heard again that fertility drugs are linked to ovarian cancer. Thought that was not true. Now not sure what to believe. Do I need ultrasounds yearly?

Dr. George Kingsley III
In brief: Infertility Yes Rx N
Infertility and having no children are independent risk factors for ovarian cancer.
Some injectable super-ovulation drugs had some initial concern for increasing cancer risk but most believe that any increase in risk is minimal. No specific screening is recommended for ovarian cancer. Ca-125 testing and ultrasound have not been effective at determining who will develop ovarian cancer.

In brief: Infertility Yes Rx N
Dr. George Kingsley III
Dr. George Kingsley III
3 comments
Dr. Julian Escobar
Infertility is associated with increased cancer risk. A large Scandinavian study showed that fertility medications are not associated. However, there may be a small increased risk after 12 cycles of Clomid. Having said so, there is little evidence that more than 6 cycles of clomid is effective, thus there is no reason to do more than 12.
Dr. Andrew Silverman
The more common drug Clomid is associated with an increased risk of a low malignant potential ovarian cancer if taken more than 12 cycles in your life.
Dr. Johnnie Ham
In brief: Sort of
I agree with the previous answer. Here's the way to see it conceptually.
.The more stimulation and turnover of any cell line, like those in the ovary, the more there is a risk of an error or mistake in the new line of cells, so the short answer is yes. But, the actual increased risk is minimal. Then monitor with sonos, annual pelvic exams, and both ca125 and he4 tests. Plus, eat right.

In brief: Sort of
Dr. Johnnie Ham
Dr. Johnnie Ham
Dr. Jane Van Dis