5 doctors weighed in:

My mom broke a fluorescent lightbulb in our fridge and didn't clean it for a week. Is that dangerous?

5 doctors weighed in
Aaron Stupple
General Practice
5 doctors agree

In brief: Broken glass

Broken glass is dangerous, especially in a place of food storage, because it can be hard to see and can damage the face or eyes when eating.
The main chemical concern is mercury vapor, present in all fluorescent lamps. While mercury is a poisonous gas, there is not enough in one bulb to pose any risk, especially after a week. If the fridge is safely cleaned and food discarded, there is no danger.

In brief: Broken glass

Broken glass is dangerous, especially in a place of food storage, because it can be hard to see and can damage the face or eyes when eating.
The main chemical concern is mercury vapor, present in all fluorescent lamps. While mercury is a poisonous gas, there is not enough in one bulb to pose any risk, especially after a week. If the fridge is safely cleaned and food discarded, there is no danger.
Aaron Stupple
Aaron Stupple
Answer assisted by Aaron Stupple, Medical Student
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Board Certified,
46 years in practice
16M people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors