I am in recovery for anorexia and I have fibromyalgia too . My doctor wants me to take cymbalta (duloxetine) for the pain. I'm terrified of gaining lots of weight. What should I do?

Dr. Wm. Marcus Spurlock
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Cymbalta (duloxetine) works well.

Cymbalta usually does not cause weight gain when compared to products like lyrica, (pregabalin) also for fibromyalgia pain.
Cymbalta might be an excellent choice for you in combination with your other diagnosis. However, you should have a thorough workup by a doctor well versed in fibromyalgia who would address the underlying causes of your pain: sleep, hormones deficiencies, infections and nutritionals.

Dr. Wm. Marcus Spurlock
Dr. Wm. Marcus Spurlock
Dr. Alan Cohen

In brief: Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Cymbalta may help you feel better, reduce pain and other symptoms of fibromyalgia.
Be sure of the diagnosis, though. Many don't actually fit the criteria, which is defined by rheumatology experts. Sleep disorder is common, check your TSH for thyroid. This drug is not prone to significant weight gain, as opposed to Paxil (paroxetine) & remeron.

In brief: Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Dr. Alan Cohen
Dr. Alan Cohen
Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Consult with MD

Both diagnoses are significant.
The psych-social reasons for anorexia are difficult to address, and i understand your reluctance to add a medication that may further hinder your body image difficulties. On the other hand fibromyalgia needs to be addressed. A long and frank consult with your md and perhaps a psychiatrist are in your best interest. Anorexia 1st?

In brief: Consult with MD

Both diagnoses are significant.
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham