What causes depression in pregnancy?

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
In brief: Many reasons
The hormone Progesterone is probably a major reason.
However other factors could be involved such as past history of depression, stress at work or home, concerns about money, etc.

In brief: Many reasons
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: We are unsure
But, hormones likely play a major role in a woman's moods before, during and after pregnancy.
There may be other causes as well. You may want to discuss your concerns with the obstetrician if you are pregnant. Sometimes, with a strong family history of depression, an increased risk of depression may be present especially around pregnancy. For that reason, the doctor may suggest some treatment.

In brief: We are unsure
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Chevies Newman
In brief: Stress diathesis
Its called the stress diathesis model.
You may be vulnerable by a combination of childhood "hypervigilance" and genes. These come together in a stressful situation and culminate into a depression. The pregnancy part can be a stressor, then you feel bad about not feeling good. I would treat now as your cances of pp depression are high. Mirtazpine 15 mg at night can help insomnia and nausea too.

In brief: Stress diathesis
Its called the stress diathesis model.
Dr. Chevies Newman
Dr. Chevies Newman
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Dep in pregnancy
Please refer to my detailed answer previously.

In brief: Dep in pregnancy
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Jane Van Dis