Sometimes I wake up suddenly and abruptly in the night with lots of anxiety is this something to look into?

In brief: Nocturnal Panic!

It is possible that you may be experiencing panic attacks or nightmares.
If they occur frequently and impair your function, you may benefit from being psychiatrically evaluated.

In brief: Nocturnal Panic!

Dr. Olukayode Awosika
Dr. Olukayode Awosika
Dr. Christopher Coller

In brief: Yes - maybe apnea

The anxiety might be coming from having low oxygen at night.
Sleep apnea is very common and can be evaluated with an overnight pulse-oximetry or a sleep study. Poor sleep and low oxygen levels can have other effects such as raising blood pressure so it is worth talking with your doctor about. There are other causes of nighttime anxiety as well, but apnea is on the differential.

In brief: Yes - maybe apnea

Dr. Christopher Coller
Dr. Christopher Coller
Dr. Donald Hazlett
I would agree, and just add that panic attacks are fairly common in the middle of the night and can wake one up. Also mitral valve prolapse can mimic a panic attack and cause the same middle of the night awakening.