Is it normal to develope seroma five months after laposcopic ventral hernia repair with mesh?

Dr. Andres Katz
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: No

Not this late. Something else is going on, most likely a recurrent hernia.

In brief: No

Dr. Andres Katz
Dr. Andres Katz
Dr. Andrew Doe
I was a little vague. It could be just a normal seroma, but get it evaluated (as Dr. Katz and I suggested).
Dr. David Earle
Surgery

In brief: Very common

Seromas are very common after laparoscopic ventral hernia repair.
It is a bit unusual to develop after five months. I suspect it may have been there before hand and smaller form and could be getting larger. They usually don't require any treatment, but on occasion they need to be drained. Best to follow up with your surgeon for an exam. Hope this helps!

In brief: Very common

Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle
Dr. Andrew Doe
Radiology - Interventional

A seroma is a fluid collection.
You likely had a bruise (hematoma/blood) in this location, and your body has absorbed the solid portions and left the serum part of the blood behind. You should have this evaluated with an ultrasound (first) and it may also need to be drained, with a portion sent for testing (infection, etc). Usually, these can be drained and the cavity will go away.

A seroma is a fluid collection.
Dr. Andrew Doe
Dr. Andrew Doe
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery