I've been given penicillin to treat my strep throat. How long will it take before I can start to experience recovery effects?

In brief: 3 days
A person taking penicillin for strep throat should feel better in 2-3 days.
If he is worse on day 3, or just not better by day 4, he should talk with his primary care doctor to verify the name and proper dose of his antibiotic, and to discuss his symptoms. Re-evaluation and treatment with a different medication may be needed.

In brief: 3 days
Dr. Francine Yep
In brief: 2-3 days
It takes 2-3 days for your antibiotics to kick in.
Hope you're feeling better soon. Meanwhile do whatever you need to do to make yourself better: gargle salt water, drink hot tea with honey, take Acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

In brief: 2-3 days
Dr. Francine Yep
Dr. Francine Yep
Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Usually 24-48 hours
Usually there is serious improvement 24-48 hours after beginning antibiotic therapy.

In brief: Usually 24-48 hours
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Jonathan Jassey