How do I persuade a group of social workers that someone may have a megalomania disorder?

Dr. Dan Fisher

In brief: Evidence.

Use objective evidence and objective criteria from dsm iv. It is only a disorder when it becomes dysfunctional. Many have traits and skirt the edge of dysfunction and there is some leeway for interpretation. If you can't convince a group maybe it ain't there yet....

In brief: Evidence.

Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
2 comments
Dr. Pamela Pappas
In my understanding, megalomania differs from narcissistic personality disorder. In megalomania the goal is to have power over others; in narcissistic personality the goal is more to be admired. Maybe the two can be present in the same person, but megalomania could also exist on its own as part of mania and some other psychotic illnesses. I agree that many people have traits that "skirt the edge of dysfunction," rather than completely taking over though!
Dr. Sophie Duriez
Megalomania may also be recognized as grandiosity , often part of a manic episode in someone with bipolar disorder .
Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Why do this?

Why try to persuade anyone of anything like this? The term "megalomania" is not really a disorder, but describes someone with delusions of power or omnipotence.
These can occur in multiple disorders, which a knowledgeable psychiatrist or therapist would be able to differentiate through working with the person. If you feel someone needs help, you can encourage them to get it.

In brief: Why do this?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas