8 doctors weighed in:

My wife and I just learned that she is pregnant with twins! what are the odds of twins?

8 doctors weighed in
Danielle Jones
Obstetrics & Gynecology
8 doctors agree

In brief: About 1.8%

The incidence of natural fraternal-twin pregnancies in the U.
S. Is about 1 in 70 (1.4%) and identical-twin pregnancies is about 1 in 250 (0.4%), for total odds of about 1.8%. This jumps to about 1 in 35 (almost 3%) if women using the help of reproductive medicine are included in the statistics. Odds increase with maternal age, number of past pregnancies, family history of twins, and other factors.

In brief: About 1.8%

The incidence of natural fraternal-twin pregnancies in the U.
S. Is about 1 in 70 (1.4%) and identical-twin pregnancies is about 1 in 250 (0.4%), for total odds of about 1.8%. This jumps to about 1 in 35 (almost 3%) if women using the help of reproductive medicine are included in the statistics. Odds increase with maternal age, number of past pregnancies, family history of twins, and other factors.
Danielle Jones
Danielle Jones
Answer assisted by Danielle Jones, Medical Student
Thank
1 comment
Danielle Jones
And congrats on your news...!
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Adam Levy
Board Certified, Obstetrics & Gynecology
33 years in practice
1M people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors