Is going into surgery with slight hemolytic anemia dangerous? My dad is having holep surgery. His Benicar (olmesartan) may be causing the anemia.

Dr. Boris Aronzon
Anesthesiology

In brief: Discuss

Discuss your concern with anesthesiologist.
He will explain you the risks and will provide reassurance. If your surgeon felt it is unsafe, he would not schedule the surgery.

In brief: Discuss

Dr. Boris Aronzon
Dr. Boris Aronzon
Pathology

In brief: No

Surgery puts demands on the cardiovascular system but operating on people with mild anemias is common.
An ongoing mild hemolysis that does not lower the hemoglobin below 8 or 10 or whatever the surgeon thinks right should not be a problem. I trust that the physicians who detected the hemolysis are managing it appropriately.

In brief: No

Dr. Umesh Patel