How safe and effective is 50mg of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for sleep? 

Dr. Paul Carter
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Very

Diphenhydramine is the active ingredient in bendryl, and is also used on multiple other bedtime over the counter preparations to cause drowsiness - i.
e., tylenol (acetaminophen) pm, simply sleep, etc.

In brief: Very

Dr. Paul Carter
Dr. Paul Carter
Dr. Christopher Powers

In brief: Safe, not effective

Will help put you to sleep, but won't keep you asleep and you'll likely awake with a hung-over feeling.
Moreover, it is constipating if used persistently. I prefer Ambien or Lunesta (eszopiclone) in my patients, unless there pregnant. If so, Benadryl or doxylamine, are my only choices.

In brief: Safe, not effective

Dr. Christopher Powers
Dr. Christopher Powers