My grandson is in med school. Can he help me walk instead of pt? I broke my pelvis 2 months ago.

Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Where is the break?
Depending on the area of the pelvis that is fractured, different types of rehabilitation may be necessary.
If only the pubic rami are involved, then a patient can be weight bearing as tolerated and work on walking and abductor and gluteal strengthening. This does not require formal physical therapy training. If other portions of the pelvis are involved (acetabulum), you probably best seek a formal therapist because you might need to be non-weightbearing until the fracture is stable.

In brief: Where is the break?
Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. Joshua Batt
Emergency Medicine
In brief: No
He certainly could help you walk as you are recovering but not in place of pt.
The benefit of having pt work with you is that they use goals and indicators in their reports to help your doctors give you the best care. Not only this, but they are specially trained for optimizing your rehabilitation.

In brief: No
Dr. Joshua Batt
Dr. Joshua Batt
Dr. Shontae Buffington