Any recommendations for an optometrist in palo alto?  

Not for optometrists. A person who might need glasses or contact lenses for nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness, astigmatism, or presbyopia (needs reading glasses), but otherwise has no eye symptoms, can see an optometrist (a non-medical doctor). Healthtap in 2011 has only medical doctors as experts, so has ophthalmologists (medical eye doctors who do eye surgery, treat eye diseases, prescribe medications, etc...).
None. You best bet for an eye examination is to find an ophthalmologist who is trained in all aspects of eye disease. Optoms do not do surgery, have limited training, and do not even have board certification. An md is your better bet.