I have lobular neoplasia. Is it a likely that I will develop breast cancer in the future?

Sightly increased...

Breast_cancer
There is a slightly increased risk of breast cancer with lobular neoplasia, but the majority of women with this diagnosis do not get breast cancer. Some sites describe a 7 to 11 times increased risk for future breast cancer. Tamoxifen may be a consideration for breast cancer prevention. See a breast specialist and consider genetic testing for breast cancer risk analysis.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Breast Breast cancer Breast carcinoma Cancer Female Gene Genetic Genetic testing Neoplasms Prevention

answered:

Increased risk

Breast_cancer
Lobular neoplasia applies to a range of pathologic changes such as atypical lobular hyperplasia (ALH) to lobular carcinoma in situ (LCIS). These changes are considered a marker for increased risk for breast cancer of about 30-40% over your life time (Average risk is about 12.5%). There are risk reduction strategies that you can employ. It is best to discuss with a breast care specialist to explore these options. Please also check the following link for more info: http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/types/lcis/cancer_risk
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Breast Breast cancer Breast carcinoma Cancer Carcinoma in situ In situ Marker Neoplasms Female health