7 doctors weighed in:

After 1 beer or glass of wine, I get an itchy, red, raised rash covering my entire left hip and thig?

7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Frank Pinto
Dermatology
3 doctors agree

In brief: Sounds like hives

It sounds like you are having urticaria (hives) and i agree that it is probably an allergy to a preservative in the beer and wine- possibly sulfites.
When it happens you can try taking an over-the-counter antihistamine like benedryl or zyrtec (cetirizine). Also consider seeing an allergist for allergy testing. Unfortunately it may be difficult to find beer or wine that is completely sulfite-free.

In brief: Sounds like hives

It sounds like you are having urticaria (hives) and i agree that it is probably an allergy to a preservative in the beer and wine- possibly sulfites.
When it happens you can try taking an over-the-counter antihistamine like benedryl or zyrtec (cetirizine). Also consider seeing an allergist for allergy testing. Unfortunately it may be difficult to find beer or wine that is completely sulfite-free.
Dr. Frank Pinto
Dr. Frank Pinto
Thank
Dr. Paul Carter
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
2 doctors agree

In brief: Consider allergy

One possible common ingredient is brewer's yeast which some people may become allergic to.

In brief: Consider allergy

One possible common ingredient is brewer's yeast which some people may become allergic to.
Dr. Paul Carter
Dr. Paul Carter
Thank
Dr. Christopher Guzik
Family Medicine

In brief: Allergic reaction

A rash after drinking wine or beer may indicate an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients in the liquid.
Preservatives are the most likely agents. Stop drinking the offending agent right away as continued use may make the rash worse; or cause a potential breathing problem.

In brief: Allergic reaction

A rash after drinking wine or beer may indicate an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients in the liquid.
Preservatives are the most likely agents. Stop drinking the offending agent right away as continued use may make the rash worse; or cause a potential breathing problem.
Dr. Christopher Guzik
Dr. Christopher Guzik
Thank
1 comment
Dr. Michael P Vaughn
Wine is available unsulfited. You may be able to drink preservative free wine
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Christopher Crosby
Board Certified, Dermatology
13 years in practice
93K people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors