I had wilms tumor as a child, can I still have babies?

Dr. Grzegorz Nalepa
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Perhaps

This depends on the type of treatment used to treat your wilms tumor when you were a child.
Your doctor can run several tests to determine if you can still have babies.

In brief: Perhaps

Dr. Grzegorz Nalepa
Dr. Grzegorz Nalepa
Dr. Scott Diede
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Most likely,

Most people who have been treated for wilms tumor can have children themselves.
See http://www.Cancer.Iu.Edu/renaltumors/wilms/aftertreatment/lateeffects/fertility.Php?Treatment=3.

In brief: Most likely,

Dr. Scott Diede
Dr. Scott Diede
Dr. Noah Federman
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Depends

Fertility depends on a lot of things.
Having had wilms tumor the chances of future fertility really depend on whether or not you received radiation as part of the therapy and the field of radiation and whether it involved a significant dose to the ovaries or testes. My recommendation would be to see a fertility specialisty prior to family planning to discuss and evaluate your fertility.

In brief: Depends

Fertility depends on a lot of things.
Dr. Noah Federman
Dr. Noah Federman