For 2 years my eardrum has thumped when I lightly touch my ear. Mri shows nothing, ENT stumped?

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: The thump is a stump
The facial nerve runs in a bony canal next to but not on the ear drum. The stapedius attaches to the stapes not on the ear drum. I'm not sure why you have that sensation.
.. We are all unique ... Normal mri.. No worries.

In brief: The thump is a stump
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. James Lin
Just watch and see how it may progress since everything is a process of lifelong making and will display at certain point of its full spectrum.
Dr. Christopher Guzik
In brief: Facial Nerve
A small branch of the facial nerve runs along the eardrum. A small muscle the stapedius also runs along the eardrum and is connected to the facial nerve.
A problem with these structures may give you a problem with hearing a thump.

In brief: Facial Nerve
Dr. Christopher Guzik
Dr. Christopher Guzik
Dr. George Valdez
In brief: Eustacian tube
Sounds like pressure changes inside ear. Try to drink a lot more water, chew gum frequently, take Mucinex (guaifenesin) plain over the counter, and use prescription steroid nasal spray for 2 weeks.
If it doesn't improve, may need to see neurologist.

In brief: Eustacian tube
Dr. George Valdez
Dr. George Valdez
Dr. Andrea Brand