Is running bad for recovery from a dvt? Popiteal vein. On warfarin.

Mike Moore
In brief: Be careful, warfarin
Really, i think the answer has more to do with the warfarin you are on, not the running.
I think it is better if you are on anything that can thin your blood (think Coumadin (warfarin), or Lovenox (enoxaparin) (a type of Heparin you can give at home)) you should avoid activities prone to injury, falls during running are one of those activities. Walk fast 30-60 minutes a day and your running will come back. :).

In brief: Be careful, warfarin
Mike Moore
Mike Moore
Answer assisted by Mike Moore, Medical Student
Dr. Ted King
For what it's worth, I agree with that.
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology
In brief: Probably helpful
Early ambulation, within a couple of days, has clearly been shown to be beneficial.
As long as things are stable on your medications and running doesn't cause pain, it is ok to do. As others have said, though, clear it with you own doctor first and don't forget your compression stockings.

In brief: Probably helpful
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: It's ok
You should wear stockings at all times when you are awake.
Keeping yourself in shape and not gaining weight will also help you. Please see a vascular surgeon.

In brief: It's ok
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Unknown
There have not been any definitive studies looking at the effects of exercise on recovery from dvts; minor activity, such as walking, has been shown to be safe within weeks after diagnosis.
Theoretically, there may be some benefits and some down sides related to more vigorous activity. In general, i advise my patients to wait 3 months before running (and to wear compression stockings).

In brief: Unknown
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
2 comments
Dr. Barry Rosen
Knee high should be sufficient but should be medical-grade, with 20-30mmHg compression.
Dr. Ted King
I agree that knee high is fine. The study that has shown a decrease in the risk of post thrombotic syndrome with compression after a DVT was done with 30-40 mm Hg stockings. However, a new study is going to be presented in Italy next month that says that the amount of compression doesn't matter!
Dr. Alan Koslow
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: Wear Support Stockin
First question is do you have hypercoagulable state.
If not then just support stockings for ever. They sign. Reduce risk of post phlebitic syndrome which creeps up on you slowly and by the time you know you have it you're screwed. So wear 30-40 thigh high support stockings when awake for life.

In brief: Wear Support Stockin
Dr. Alan Koslow
Dr. Alan Koslow
Aaron Stupple
General Practice
In brief: Ask your doctor
Don't go for a run before talking with your doctor. There is no evidence about vigorous exercise, but light walking after a deep vein thrombosis has been shown to improve pain and swelling and general well-being.
However, this likely won't change your chances of developing a pulmonary embolism (pe). Your doctor may want to check if you are fully anticoagulated with warfarin, among other things.

In brief: Ask your doctor
Aaron Stupple
Aaron Stupple
Answer assisted by Aaron Stupple, Medical Student
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine