I am afraid of getting an infection after having surgery on my upper thigh with tissue expanders placed. What should I do?

Brian Fishman
Emergency Medicine
In brief: No greater infx risk
I don't believe using tissue expanders during surgery confers any greater risk of infection than the surgery itself.
They're used so that doctors can get a greater field of view at the incision site and have more room to work. Before the procedure, you're given a prophylactic dose of antibiotics to minimize infection risk.

In brief: No greater infx risk
Brian Fishman
Brian Fishman
Answer assisted by Brian Fishman, Medical Student
Dr. Barry Rosen
Tissue expanders are implants placed under the skin and slowly expanded over weeks to grow new skin.
Aaron Stupple
General Practice
In brief: Not too risky
Tissue expanders can be successful, with low rates of complication, including infection, deflation, and contraction from scar formation.
Infection rates depend on whether the patient poses minimal risk for the procedure, whether there is proper planning and appropriate technique used. Expanders in the breast have shown less than 2% failure due to infection, which may or may not vary for the thigh.

In brief: Not too risky
Aaron Stupple
Aaron Stupple
Answer assisted by Aaron Stupple, Medical Student
In brief: It's natural
I think it's natural to have some fear, and certainly we all have a healthy respect for potential infection.
Rest assured that your surgeon will be monitoring you for any early signs of infection.

In brief: It's natural
Dr. Wesley Marquart
Dr. Wesley Marquart
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Low-Risk
Tissue expanders are like balloons that are slowly inflated under the skin over weeks-to-months to effectively grow new skin that can be transferred elsewhere on the body.
Since it is a foreign body left under the skin, there is a risk of infection. However, the benefits usually outweigh the risks.

In brief: Low-Risk
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery