I have chronic sinus infections.A CT scan shows the roots of my molars growing into my sinuses.Amoxicillin works better than augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate).Ok to use this?

Dr. Robert Knox
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Roots in Sinuses

Ct scans often show tooth roots up in the floor of the maxillary sinuses.
This is why sinus infections often cause tooth symptoms. Amoxicillin and Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) are two similar, commonly used antibiotics to help treat sinus infections.

In brief: Roots in Sinuses

Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. John Scuba
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Roots in sinuses

Many teeth with roots in sinuses are quite sensitive and become painful with sinus infection.
However, unhealthy, decayed, periodontally unsound, infected, or abscessed teeth can actually be the cause of sinus symptoms and infection. Especially suspect are upper back teeth treated with "root canals"--which often may not resolve the problem--and will not likely show up as the culprit on medical ct.

In brief: Roots in sinuses

Dr. John Scuba
Dr. John Scuba
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine