Is chiara malformation hereditary?

Dr. James Goodrich
Neurosurgery
In brief: Chiari malformation
Over the years there has been a good deal of discussion about heredity.
There have been reported families with more than one family member having a chiari - in my own practice the pressence of multiple family members with chiari has been quite rare.

In brief: Chiari malformation
Dr. James Goodrich
Dr. James Goodrich
Dr. Christopher Guzik
In brief: Sometimes
Cm has several different causes.
  it can be caused by structural defects in the brain and spinal cord that occur during fetal development, whether caused by genetic mutations or lack of proper vitamins or nutrients in the maternal diet.  this is called primary or congenital cm. it can also be caused later in life if spinal fluid is drained excessively from the lumbar or thoracic areas of the spine.

In brief: Sometimes
Cm has several different causes.
Dr. Christopher Guzik
Dr. Christopher Guzik