I sprained my ankle in july and i still have pain & popping at the base of my 5th metatarsal. Hurts after resting and pain goes away with walking. I got an xray and no broken bones. What's wrong?

Dr. Darrell Herrington

In brief: See your doctor

Enough time has passed for routine injuries in that area to have healed.
There may be an underlying problem, or you may simply have some scar tissue that may need physical therapy.

In brief: See your doctor

In brief: Popping

Lots of good answers here.
If there is no fracture anywhere , that really leaves soft tissue . The popping may be the peroneus brevis sliding in and out of the groove in which it runs on the lateral aspect of the foot. See your podiatrist for assistance . Don't be alarmed if an MRI is ordered.

In brief: Popping

Lots of good answers here.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Have it evaluated

Possible cause of your pain may include sprain, bursitis, fracture, contusion, neuritis, but of course there are a multitude of other possibilities.
Get the feet inspected by a professional to determine the cause of the problem, as treatment varies depending on the diagnosis. Popping may be due to instability of the joint or bordering soft tissues.

In brief: Have it evaluated

In brief: Tendonitis

The peroneus brevis tendon attaches to the base of the 5th metatarsal.
If the x-rays showed no fracture, you probably have swelling or a tear to this tendon. I would recommend seeing a specialist and getting an MRI to confirm the diagnosis. Physical therapy and/or surgery may be warranted.

In brief: Tendonitis

Dr. Janak Acharya
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Occult fx

You may have sustained an occult fracture.
Get a repeat x-ray to make sure you don't have a non-union or avascular necrosis.

In brief: Occult fx

In brief: Ask for MRI

Have your doctor order an MRI and check the status of your preoneal tendons.

In brief: Ask for MRI

Dr. David Wong
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Tendon injury

Seeing a podiatrist (foot specialist) or orthopedic surgeon (bone doctor) might help -- an MRI might visualize an injured tendon which would not show up on xray (just shows bones).

In brief: Tendon injury

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine