When should a hysterectomy be done for pelvic pain?

Multiple indications. If 1) pain is chronic and interfering with normal activities, sexual functioning, mood, and/or relationships, 2)conservative measures like birth control pills have failed, and 3) no future fertility is desired, then a hysterectomy can be considered. For some diseases, like endometriosis, a hysterectomy is the only definitive cure.
Uterine pain. A hysterectomy will only help pain coming from the uterus. Some women with endometrosis have a perfectly normal uterus and don't need a hyst. It will not improve pain from ic or levator spasm. It will cure pain from adenomyosis or fibroids because these are in the uterus. Before you have a hysterectomy make sure the uterus is part of the problem!