What is a stent?

Small metal coil. A coronary stent is a small metal coil, slotted tube, or mesh structure that is placed in an artery to keep it open. The stent is mounted on a balloon catheter and delivered to the site of the blockage. When the balloon is inflated, the stent expands and is pressed against the inner wall of the coronary artery. The balloon is removed, and the stent remains in place, keeping the artery open.
Metallic strut . A stent is a metallic strut usually placed in a blood vessel (artery or vein) to keep it open. It can also be placed in other areas including the esophagus, bronchus, trachea, intestine, biliary tract.