What should I look for in a sunscreen?

Dr. Frederick Coville
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: 2 things

You need 2 things: a good uvb protector. This is what the spf rating refers to.
Octinoxate is wonderful and safe. No more than a 50 spf. Anything higher is useless and to full of other chemicals. You must have a metal in it such as zinc or titanium. These protect against uva rays. Higher spf is nonsense. You must reapply them frequently and avoid the sun to be affective. Wear a hat and be well!

In brief: 2 things

Dr. Frederick Coville
Dr. Frederick Coville
Dr. Harold Rosenfeld
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Two thngs

1] spf-15or higher 2]a base that you tolerate.
I advise patients to use environment appropriate screens i.e. Water proof when in the water or sweating, less oily when skiing, etc.

In brief: Two thngs

Dr. Harold Rosenfeld
Dr. Harold Rosenfeld
Dr. Brock Ridenour
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Zinc oxide

When buying sunscreen, look for products that have micronized zinc oxide and titanium dioxide in them. These broad-spectrum physical blocking agents protect against both uva and uvb rays without harmful chemicals.
Find a product with a minimum spf of 30, but remember that spf only applies to the uvb rays. No standard measurement of protection is yet available for the uva component of sunlight.

In brief: Zinc oxide

Dr. Brock Ridenour
Dr. Brock Ridenour