Why do I need to see a pain specialist?

Pain management. Your doctor usually refer you to pain specialist for more advanced treatment. Pain management doctor utilizes different approaches for pain. It might include accupunture, physical therapy, medication, injections .... Interventional pain management doctor has additional training in interventions such as nerve blocks, epidural steroid injections, spinal cord stimulation .....
Nerve blocks. And other treatments that can improve function and quality of life on chronic pain patients.
Extra resource. The referral to a pain specialist is based on experience and comfort level of the primary physician. He/she needs to be familiar with the medications and different modalities for treatment. Pain specialist has extra tools and resources and has a team to work with. It will make the pain management easier. Pain specialist has to work with primary doctor very closely.