Is Zoloft (sertraline) a good medication for OCD and anxiety? I am recovering from anorexia also and I am terriified of gaining weight from it ?

Dr. Imad Khreim

Zoloft is a member if the ssri's group which are the backbone of treatment for ocd.
Other medications include celexa, lexapro, (escitalopram) fluvoxamine, fluoxetine, clomipramine and others. Zoloft o's one that has low profile of side effects, including weight gain

Dr. Imad Khreim
Dr. Imad Khreim

In brief: Yes zoloft (sertraline) can be

Effective in the treatment of ocdr and anxiety.
4.5% people treated with zoloft (sertraline) had a significant weight gain in one study. Weight gain is more likely if the person is taking zoloft (sertraline) for 6 months or longer. There are some people who experience increased carbohydrate craving on zoloft (sertraline). However, mechanism for weight gain is not well understood. It is pretty weight neutral.

Dr. Peter Kurzweil