Am I allergic to penicillin, and will I have to get expensive antibiotics instead?

Dr. Richard Lavi
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Allergy test.

Penicillin allergy testing is available.
A series of skin scratches, followed by under the skin tests are performed over 30-40 minutes. If they show no reaction, then a dose of penicillin may be given in the doctor's office to confirm beyond a doubt that there is no immediate reaction. By returning penicillin and other antibiotic choices, cost-effective treatments become available again.

In brief: Allergy test.

Dr. Richard Lavi
Dr. Richard Lavi
Dr. Jack Mutnick

In brief: Not necessarily

You need to discuss what your allergy to pcn's really is before worrying about this too much.
If not too severe then sometimes we treat through. Otherwise an alternative is prescribed.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick