I think I have food allergies! how do I know?

Dr. Richard Lavi
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Classic symptoms.
An estimated 2-3% of the american population has true food allergy.
Ingesting a food that you are allergic to will result in symptoms within minutes to a few hours. Hives, swelling, vomiting, diarrhea, coughing, wheezing and even a drop in blood pressure are more classic symptoms and signs of these immediate reactions. Food allergy can be outgrown and oral desensitzation treatments are coming.

In brief: Classic symptoms.
Dr. Richard Lavi
Dr. Richard Lavi
In brief: Depends...
Often depends upon the reactions you have and if it is a one time occurrence or many negative responses to certain foods and beverages.
May need to consider an allergist.

In brief: Depends...
May need to consider an allergist.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Richard Wachs
In brief: Get tested
Food allergies are sometimes difficult to differentiate from adverse reactions.
History can be very helpful, but testing is recommended. I recommend a thorough history, physical and possible testing by a board certified allergist.

In brief: Get tested
Dr. Richard Wachs
Dr. Richard Wachs
Dr. Vicken Poochikian