My child has a bad reaction to mosquito bites. Is he allergic?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Probably.

Allergy to proteins in mosquito saliva is common but immunotherapy (allergy injections) is neither effective nor necessary.
With continued exposure almost everyone develops tolerance to mosquitoes in their locale. When they go elsewhere they're bitten by other mosquitoes & often reactions reappear. This is why mosquitoes only seem to bite tourists & not natives. All are bitten; only newbies notice.

In brief: Probably.

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Quang Nguyen
interesting.
Dr. Carla Enriquez

In brief: Depends

If the child gets itchy bumps, where he was bitten, then that is a typical childhood reaction.
If the child is bitten, and a distant body part from the bite swells, or there are hives or generalized itching or respiratory problems, then that's an allergic reaction. Typically, mosquito bites don't cause allergic reactions so much as annoying itchy bumps we call papular urticaria.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: No

All children are more sensitive to insect/mosquito bites and tend to get the hard red swelling.
The best treatment I have found is an onion (page 141 of common sense pediatrics). Slice an onion (any fresh onion) and rub it on the bite. The enzymes in the onion neutralize the insect toxin and there is little to no swelling or itching. Do not use on the eyes. Works 4 bee stings, spider and ant bites.

In brief: No

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz