My pediatrician diagnosed impetigo but now looks like ringworm after being on antibiotics for a week. What should I do?

Dr. Joseph Cohen

In brief: Go back to MD

You may have had underlying ringworm that allowed the staff to grab hold and cause impetigo.
And once the infections gone the underlying problem appeared.

In brief: Go back to MD

Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Recheck

Impetigo is a bacterial infection treated with antibiotics, while ringworm is a fungal skin infection which would not improve with antibiotics.
If the eruption has not resolved with antibiotics, see your pediatrician so a skin culture for fungus can be done. Regardless, avoid putting Hydrocortisone or other topical steroid on it until the true diagnosis is known.

In brief: Recheck

Dr. Cindy Juster