Why can't I call the office for a new prescription?

Dr. Paige Gutheil
In brief: Prefer in person.
Very rarely is it appropriate to prescribe a new medication by phone.
Keep in mind that in order to recommend a treatment plan, physicians have the obligation to evaluate (by asking questions and examining) the problem, make a diagnosis and then recommend a medication. This is almost impossible to do by phone, no matter how simple it may seem.

In brief: Prefer in person.
Dr. Paige Gutheil
Dr. Paige Gutheil
2 comments
Dr. Shaym Puppala
I agree 100% with Dr. Gutheil. Additionally, some medications require monitoring by blood tests and/or physical exam and/or symptoms, which cannot be done adequately by telephone.
Dr. Lea Danielsen
The state that I practice, Georgia, the state board does not allow doctors to prescribe medications on a patient we have not seen, unless to cover a refill for another doctor who is not available. It is considered unethical by the state board.
Dr. William Forsythe