Is the patch or pills better for quitting smoking?

Dr. Paige Gutheil
In brief: Person dependent
I love helping people stop smoking! there is no single effective plan for everyone though.
First we need to talk about your habits, what you've tried before, mood/ behavior tendencies, how much nicotine you use, etc. Etc. Most of the time a combination of techniques is best!

In brief: Person dependent
Dr. Paige Gutheil
Dr. Paige Gutheil
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine
In brief: Neither is better
The success rates of both patches or gum (there are no nicotine pills - just gum, lozenges, inhalers) are similar, and often it is personal preference.
I generally prescribe a patch because it is easier, and then lozenges to use if craving breaks through. If by pills you mean zyban (bupropion) (wellbutrin) and chantix, they have higher quit rates, when combined with counseling, than nicotine replacement.

In brief: Neither is better
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Marsha Davis