My ex gave me genital hsv1 after oral sex when he had a cold sore. This was 9 years ago and I have never had an outbreak since. How contagious am i?

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology

In brief: How do you know?

You forgot to indicate how it was determined that you have [had?] hsv1.
Most adults harbor this virus, never have recognized symptoms, yet periodically shed herpes virus which can be cultured and is potentially contagious. But note that most people already carry the virus and so they are not at risk from you.

In brief: How do you know?

Dr. Joel Piehl
Dentistry - Periodontics

In brief: Dorment virus

Chances are the virus is not currently active but remains in your system. You would be contagious if you develop lesions which can be difficult to see.

In brief: Dorment virus

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
herpes is periodically shed onto skin in the absence of any lesions. Since the virus can be cultured it can also be transmitted.
Dr. Pouya Shafipour

In brief: Not Very

If you've never had an outbreak since the exposure, it is possible that your blood work test positive for hsv type 1 (positive igg to hsv1).
However, if you don't have any visible lesions or pain, you're most likely not contagious but i suggest always using protection and checking yourself to make sure you don't have visible lesions.

In brief: Not Very

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Everybody who carries herpes virus.......most adults..... can potentially transmit it to a naive person. Virus is much more numerous at times of vesicles, but small numbers can be cultured periodically in the absence of any symptoms.
Dr. Jane Van Dis