Alcohol or non alcohol based mouthwash for bad breath?

Either. Both types of mouthwash are going to have agents in them that will kill bacteria that tend to cause bad breath. If you are aware of halitosis, be sure to brush your tongue well, especially toward the back. This is a common source for bad breath. Also be sure to get your teeth cleaned at the dentist if it has been a while. Mouthwash helps, but often just covers up the real problem.
Non-alcohol please. In my opinion, alcohol in our rinses causes dryness to occur, in a part of the body that requires moisture to help balance and help stop disease processes. Bad breath can occur from food entrapment, bacterial growth, drinks that create sulfur gases in the stomach, and sometimes systemic disease. Eliminate the first group with good brushing and flossing, limit the coffees and see if things improve.
Either is fine. Everything in moderation. If this is for a temporary condition either is fine. For everyday use, alcohol based mouthwash may not be the best choice. There is reported to be a very slight increase in the risk for oral cancer with alcohol based mouthwashes. However i would not consider alcohol alone significant. Additional risks factors would have to be considered..