What is the difference between Botox and Dysport?

answered:

Dysport and Botox

Botox
This is not unlike asking what is the difference between Anacin and Bufferin. Both contain aspirin as the active ingredient but may have other minor differences. Botox and Dysport both contain botulinum toxin as the primary component with minor chemical differences and binding proteins. Botox has human albumin and Dysport contains cow milk protein.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Botox Botulinum toxin Aspirin Albumin Protein Toxin Dysport Xeomin

answered:

Botox and Dysport

Botox
Botox and Dysport are very equal,I like the analogy of Coke and Pepsi. They are so equal, in fact the FDA had the 2 companies match the package inserts. The are some important differences. The units are completely different and not interchangeable. Dysport will predictablely kick in quicker. Otherwise, if you are with an experiened injector take your pick.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Botox Fda Dysport Xeomin

Dysport vs Botox

Botox
Both Dysport and Botox are derived from botulinum toxin Type A. Dysport is a smaller molecule and dilution is different than with Botox. Roughly, 50 units of Dysport equals 20 units of Botox. Some patients find that the onset of muscle relaxation after Dysport treatment is faster and lasts a few weeks longer than Botox.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Botox Botulinum toxin Muscle Toxin Dysport Xeomin

answered:

Coke & Pepsi

Botox_injections
They are different brand names of the same medicine (botulinum toxin). Xeomin is another brand name. For the most part, I see them as relatively similar, and I don't have a "favorite." Some patients have strong preference (a la Coke & Pepsi) but the both do the same thing and work well when placed by a good injector. Dysport is the new kid on the block, and is priced a bit less currently.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Botox Coke Botulinum toxin Children Toxin Dysport Xeomin

Different

Headache
These are indeed very similar products, but only Botox has been tested for the treatment of chronic migraine headaches and will be reimbursed by the insurance companies. The exact dosing for headaches has not been worked out for Dysport or Xeomin, or the third toxin - Myobloc (type B).
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Headache Migraine headaches Botox Insurance Toxin Dysport Xeomin

Dysport vs Botox

Botox
Patients will find very little difference between Botox & Dysport if used appropriately for the the reduction of expression lines on the upper 1/3 of the face. Practitioners need to know that there is a significant difference in the methods of reconstituting the 2 medications & the number of units needed to effectively treat the target muscles.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Botox Face Muscle Dysport Xeomin

Botox and dysport

Botulinum_toxin
both are serotype A botulinum toxin. Made by different manufactures, Allergan and Medicis, respectivlely. Clinically, the Dysport might show its effectiveness a day or two earlier than Botox but the effectiveness becomes equal and last as long about three to four months
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Botox Botulinum toxin Toxin Dysport Xeomin

answered:

Coke & Pepsi

Botox
Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) and Dysport (abobotulinumtoxinA) are slightly different formulations of the same medicine (botulinum toxin). They are dosed differently, but otherwise are very similar. Some patients/doctors have preferences, but I have found them to be very similar in efficacy, duration, etc. The most important thing is to find a qualified injector. Best wishes!
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Personal choice

Botox
I have used both products in my practice and as a patient. My personal preference is Dysport because of the quicker onset of action and my forehead feels more natural. I experience a stiff feeling with Botox cosmetic but not with Dysport. This is echoed in my practice.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Botox Forehead Dysport Xeomin

Spread

Botox
I have personally seen that Botox produces a predictable, focal weakening of muscles whereas Dysport causes a much wider area of weakening. This spread could be somewhat undesirable and unpredictable. Botox is also far more researched and understood than Dysport.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Botox Muscle Dysport Xeomin

Very little.

Dysport
Botox and Dysport are different strains of botulinum toxin sold by two different companies. They are both indicated for cosmetic use to reduce muscle movement that cause frown lines. If the difference in units of measurement is accounted for, I find very little difference in these two products. Dysport claims a quicker onset and slightly longer duration of action. Botox may spread a little less.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

There are diffs

Head-forehead
Dysport has a wider variety of particle sizes compared to Botox. This tends to make it spread more. That helps when you are treating excessive sweating in the armpits hands or feet because the coverage can better with less gaps. In the face, the spreading can be a problem, esp in the forehead. Spreading in the forehead can cause your eyebrows/eye lids to droop. The cost is about the same per area.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Excessive sweating Face Feet Hand Eye Forehead Dysport Botox Xeomin

Very Little

In most cases, there is very little difference in the results. The units are not the same so a lot of the differences seen may be due to different conversion of units. Dysport is usually less expensive for the equivalent dose. I like Botox for very fine areas like under the yes because it seems to have less spread.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Dysport Botox Xeomin

Slight difference

Head-forehead
They are both botulinum toxins and very similar in efficacy, use and safety profiles. Some minor differentiation can be made such as Botox having "better take" in the glabella and crow's feet while Dysport may appear a little "softer" when used on the forehead. There is a slightly different diffusion pattern between the 2 with Dysport having slighter greater diffusion than Botox.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Feet Forehead Toxin Dysport Safety Botox Xeomin

Rebates

Botox
I have used both. Dysport offers more agressive rebates to the doc, however I like Botox better. Dysport diffuses further and that gave a client of mine lid drop the first time I used it. I had a free sample in my fridge that sat there so long it expired. The ONLY place it may be superior in in the crows feet area in a patient that has wrinkles from eyes to ears when they smile.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Botox Feet Dysport Xeomin

Lots of things

Hand
Dysport spreads more which is good for treating hyperhydrosis of the armpits hands and feet, not good in the forehead if it spreads too low and causes your eyebrows or eyelids to droop. Dysport units are cheaper and weaker, which makes the final price about the same as Botox. There is a 3rd choice called Xeomin which is very similar to Botox. Best bet, let your doctor choose what he likes to do.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Feet Hand Forehead Dysport Botox Xeomin