I keep feeling the back of my neck muscles twitch. Sometimes without the twitching my neck hurts a lot and feels tense. What could this possibly be?!

In brief: You need an exam

Sorry for your dilemma.
Your description fits with patients that have cervical spine disease causing an injury to the nerve root. In cervical radiculopathy with nerve root involvement the muscle can spontaneously fire giving rise to fasciculations which is what you are appreciating with the twitching. I would advise that you see your primary care doctor as there is treatment available.

In brief: You need an exam

Sorry for your dilemma.