How do I find out if I have rhabdomyolysis? I have continual decreased kidney function and low egfr 55. Could excessive exercise be the cause?

Dr. Eduardo Haddad
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Not likely

Rhabdomyolysis is a very specific condition associate with severe muscle pain or weakness leading to release of muscle protein in the blood stream so as to essentially clog the kidney channels.
It causes acute kidney failure with brown urine and usally requires dialysis support or high rate IV fluids. It does not happen in a slow fashion with progressive damage. A blood test called CPK is high.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. Eduardo Haddad
Dr. Eduardo Haddad
Dr. Joseph Sucher
Surgery - Trauma

In brief: Blood and urine test

A simple urine test can quickly determine if you have protein in the urine.
A blood test for muscle breakdown products (creatinine kinase) can easily be performed. Check with your nephrologist or primary care physician. They can have these tests done the same day, and sometimes right in the office.

In brief: Blood and urine test

Dr. Joseph Sucher
Dr. Joseph Sucher
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine