Can nuvigil be used to help with ADHD in adults?

Dr. Carla Enriquez
In brief: Maybe
Nuvigil is a derivative of provigil.
Provigil has been shown to be effective in treating adhd in several well done reports, eg, psychiatry res. 2009 aug 15;168(3):234-7. E pub 2009 may 12. Similar studies are pending on nuvigil, so its use would be as a third line if other treatments fail.

In brief: Maybe
Nuvigil is a derivative of provigil.
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Nuvigil is more likely to help adults who have developed behaviors that curb some of their ADHD.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral
In brief: Off-label
Years ago, mcneil pharmaceutical company did several trials in children that showed effectiveness of "provigil" about 65% of the time, about the same as strattera (atomoxetine).
Two days after the last study, one child developed stevens-johnson syndrome. Although it could not be proven that it was a severe allergic reaction to the "provigil, " the fda pulled their approval. It costs ~ $600/mo. Without insurance.

In brief: Off-label
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Marcel Hungs
Neurology
In brief: Maybe
Nuvigil is used off label for adhd.

In brief: Maybe
Nuvigil is used off label for adhd.
Dr. Marcel Hungs
Dr. Marcel Hungs
Dr. Mark Reynolds
While the fda has not evaluated the effectiveness of Nuvigil in add/adhd, Nuvigil can be trialed in adults.
Typically it is utilized in those unable to take true stimulants eith due to side effects, concerns over abuse, or induction of mania. In my experience the results are not always as robust. Cost and insurance coverage can be an issue as well.

Dr. Mark Reynolds
Dr. Mark Reynolds
2 comments
Dr. Johanna Fricke
The FDA almost approved it for ADHD in children. (See my anwer).
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Cindy Juster