Can I safely remove a small foreign object my child placed up her nose?

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: No

The problem with trying to take it out yourself is that the narrowest part of the nasal passage is right past the nostril.
.. It's very easy to push it back farther to the point of "no return" and risk your child aspirating the object. Nasal foreign bodies are generally not emergencies and can be seen in clinic as soon as possible. The er doc can traumatize your child and cause bleeding. See an ent.

In brief: No

Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Vasu Brown
Thank you Dr. Medler i tis great to have instant expert advise
Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care

In brief: Do not use force

If it tugs or does not come easy do not force this and bring the child to the er. Ask your child to sniff to let this come out.

In brief: Do not use force

Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
5 comments
Dr. Patrick Melder
Do not have the child sniff, aspiration could occur and lower airway obstruction can occur.
Dr. Vasu Brown
Thank you Dr. Melder - ur input helped
Dr. Cindy Juster