I had a recent steroid injection for my spinal stenosis. Now I have premature high white blood counts and have been told to see a hemotoligist. ?

Dr. Karl Schultz
Neurosurgery

In brief: Not necessarily

While steroids can cause white cell counts to be elevated no matter how delivered (iv, epidural, oral, or in the muscle), this is usually a transient phenomenon that may be noticed for up to 10 days after the dose of steroids.
If white blood cell counts continue to be elevated longer than that, you should see your primary care physician first to be evaluated for possible causes.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Gloria Fong

In brief: Depends

High doses of steroid can cause a temporary elevation of your white count.
You should check it again in 2-4 weeks. Just like sugars may elevate after high doses of steroid. If it does not come back down then a hematogist evaluation would be warranted.

In brief: Depends