When I eat certain fruits my mouth and throat itch, does it mean I am allergic? Should I avoid them?

Dr. Sean McGhee
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Oral allergy syndr.

You might also have oral allergy syndrome, which is a cross reaction between pollen allergies (hay fever) and common proteins in fruits and vegetables, esp.
Things like melons, pineapple, apples. Oral allergy syndrome usually improves if you cook the food, and can be tested for by an allergist using a particular technique called a "prick-prick" test.

In brief: Oral allergy syndr.

Dr. Sean McGhee
Dr. Sean McGhee
Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care

In brief: Toxins

Sometimes fruits are sprayed with chemicals and you might be very sensitive to these chemicals.
Try to peel the skin before eating fruits. Some fruits if they are not ripe could cause similar problems. Food allergy slowly builds in the body. What you observe in mouth will be creating same issues in your gut. Take glutamine supplements before taking fruit and let me know if the symptom went away.

In brief: Toxins

Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Jack Hinkle