Please describe the medication: nitroglycerin?

Dr. Joshua Buckler
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Nitroglycerin

Nitroglycerin dilates the blood vessels around the heart to relieve heart pain or "angina".
It comes in both a pump spray and tablet form. There are several cautions when using this medication so always discuss with your doctor and pharmacist.

In brief: Nitroglycerin

Dr. Evans Prieston
Pharmacology

In brief: Nitroglycerin

Nitroglycerin has long been used to relieve the chest pain of angina.
Nitroglycerin works by being a vasodilator (opens the vessels) to allow blood to flow more readily. It also reduces the work the heart has to due to pump blood to all vital organs. It may be given under the tongue and also as an I.V. Infusion during acute coronary syndrome. It is an old drug that is still widely used today.

In brief: Nitroglycerin

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine